Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Biographies relate to sculptors included in the following:

Public Sculpture of Edinburgh: The Old Town and South Edinburgh by Ray McKenzie with research by Dianne King and Tracy Smith,  2018, vol. 20  in the Public Sculpture of Britain series,  Liverpool University Press.
 
Public Sculpture of Edinburgh: The New Town, Leith and the Outer Suburbs by Ray McKenzie with research by Dianne King and Tracy Smith, 2018, vol. 21 in the Public Sculpture of Britain series, Liverpool University Press.
 
Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West  by Terry Cavanagh, 2022, vol. 22 in the Public Sculpture of Britain series,  PSSA Publishing.
 
Public Sculpture of Lancashire and Cumbria by David A. Cross with photography by Peter Needham and Richard Needham, 2017, vol. 19  in the Public Sculpture of Britain series, Liverpool University Press.

All these books are available to order at the PSSA bookshop

Notes

CENTRAL SCHOOL OF ART. Founded in 1896 as the Central School of Arts and Crafts. Renamed Central School of Art and Design in 1966. Merged with St Martin’s School of Art in 1989 to become Central St Martins College of Art and Design.
 
LAMBETH SCHOOL OF ART. Founded in 1854; became South London Technical School of Art in 1879; City and Guilds of London Art School in 1937.
 
ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART. Founded in 1837 as the Government School of Design; operated as the National Art Training School from 1853 to 1896; was informally known as South Kensington School of Art throughout the 19th century; became Royal College of Art in 1896.
 
ROYAL SOCIETY OF SCULPTORS. Established in 1904 as the Society of British Sculptors. Received royal patronage and renamed the Royal Society of British Sculptors in 1911. In recognition of its growing international membership, it renamed itself the Royal British Society of Sculptors in 2003. Became the Royal Society of Sculptors in 2017. In 1923, the membership was divided into Fellows who could use the suffix FRBS and Associates, ARBS; in 2014, Associates were retitled Members and allowed to use the suffix MRBS.
 
VICTORIA AND ALBERT MUSEUM. Established in 1852 at Marlborough House, Pall Mall, as the Museum of Manufactures, it was renamed the Museum of Ornamental Art in 1853. In 1857 it was relocated to South Kensington and became the South Kensington Museum. Finally, in 1899 it was renamed the Victoria and Albert Museum