Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

John Galizia (1930–1988)

Foundry formerly operating from Battersea. John (originally Giovanni) Galizia first worked in Alexander Parlanti’s foundry at Parson’s Green, west London. He then went into partnership with Giovanni Fiorini, before setting up on his own in 1930. In its later years, the Galizia foundry was run by the son, Vincent Galizia. The firm specialised in the lost wax process and, though renowned for the quality of its small-scale castings, also completed some larger, public pieces, including bronze figures for Alfred Hardiman’s Viscount Southwood Memorial, 1948, St James’s churchyard, Piccadilly; Charles Wheeler’s Sea Piece, 1949, Port Sunlight; T.B. Huxley-Jones’s statue of David Livingstone, 1953, Royal Geographical Society building, Kensington Gore; Estcourt Clack’s Diana Drinking Fountain, 1954, Green Park, Westminster; Arthur Fleischmann’s St Francis, 1961, Francis Street, Westminster; and William Turnbull’s Sungazer, 1961, Kingsdale School, Dulwich. Other sculptors who used the foundry include Kenneth Armitage, Franta Belsky, Robert Clatworthy, Frank Dobson, Elisabeth Frink, Maurice Lambert, Henry Moore, Uli Nimptsch, William Reid Dick, Oliffe Richmond and Michael Rizzello.

Bibliography: T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 333, 336; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of South London, Liverpool, 2007, pp. xvii, 52, 53–54, 234–35, 370, 371, 375, 393; R. Cocke, Public Sculpture of Norfolk and Suffolk, Liverpool, 2013, p. 17; D. James, ‘Foundries’, Arts Review, 13 February 1970, pp. 70–71, 87; Henry Moore Institute, John Galizia and Son Ltd archive (acc. no. 52/1992); E. Morris and E. Roberts, Public Sculpture of Cheshire and Merseyside, Liverpool, 2012, pp. 160–61, 182–83; NPG British bronze sculpture founders; P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster. Volume 1, Liverpool, 2011, pp. 40, 46, 80, 220, 221.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022