Over 100 public statues of women can be found in the UK. On the occasion of International Women’s Day, 8 March 2021, the PSSA launched a database of these multifarious sculptures representing women of achievement from past and present. The database includes many well-known figures with a range of attainments: nurses such as Edith Cavell, Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole, the pilot Amy Johnson, writers such as Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf and George Eliot, performers such as Gracie Fields, Margot Fonteyn, Amy Winehouse and Victoria Wood, activists such as Mary Barbour, Millicent Fawcett and Emmeline Pankhurst, and countless others. These exceptional women lived full and extraordinary lives. The sculptures embody their achievements for posterity, works of art in bronze or stone to commemorate them and further our understanding of their contributions to our own lives and history. The database excludes royal personages, as well as mythological or allegorical female figures, which are in a different category from these representations of people whose successes stemmed from their own endeavours.
We would welcome contributions to the database, if you know of any other statues of women not included here, or if you wish to add information, such as further dates, about the statues on the list. Please use the form to the right. We are aware this is an evolving resource which will expand as time goes on.
There are 120 statues recorded in the database.
Submit a new statue
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), social reformer, celebrated for her nursing work and management during the Crimean War. She was the founder of modern nursing and instituted nurses’ training. She was active in Scotland. The director of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary asked Nightingale to get him trained nurses, which she did. Professional nursing in Glasgow Royal Infirmary started with Rebecca Strong, a ‘Nightingale nurse’, who had trained at St. Thomas’ Hospital. Nightingale’s part in providing trained nurses for the Infirmary is acknowledged by the fine marble statue of her in the vestibule.
Location: Vestibule, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Scotland.
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), a social reformer, was celebrated for her nursing work and management during the Crimean War. She was the founder of modern nursing and instituted nurses’ training. This statue stands above the front door of the former Nightingale Maternity Home (1904-1970s), which is now a Nightingale Macmillan Continuing Care Unit. The façade of the building is listed.
Location: Above the front door of the Nightingale Macmillan Continuing Care Unit, Trinity Street, Derby.
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910) was celebrated for her nursing work during the Crimean War and was the founder of modern nursing. A statue of Nightingale features on a building of 1912 alongside historic figures from the city’s industrial past.
Location: On the corner of East Street and St Peter's Street, Derby.
Photo: Russ Hamer Wikimedia Commons
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910) was celebrated for her nursing work during the Crimean War and was the founder of modern nursing. She is depicted as the ‘Lady with the Lamp’ walking through the wards of the Scutari Hospital with her famous lamp. The commission for the Memorial was initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, President of the Governors of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI). In 1860 the DRI was rebuilt due to high mortality rates, along lines suggested by Nightingale. Her family lived in Derbyshire after returning from Florence. The white marble statue stands on a pedestal with a backscreen of Darley Dale stone; it was erected in June 1914 and is listed Grade II.
Sculptor: Lady Feodora Gleichen (1861-1922), the first female member of the Royal Society of British Sculptors (RBS)
Location: Outside Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, facing London Road, Derby.
Photo: Graham Demaline Wikimedia Commons
Alice Nutter (1560-1612) was the widow of a tenant farmer, she was accused of witchcraft and hanged as a result of the Pendle witch-hunt. The statue was commissioned following a campaign by a local councillor. Made from brass and Corten steel, it was erected in 2012.
Artist: David Palmer of D.P. Structures Ltd.
Location: Roughlee, Lancashire.
Photo: public domain
Amelia Opie (1769-1853) was a novelist, poet, radical and philanthropist. She was associated with the Godwin Circle and was friends with William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft. Her political thought was influenced by the French Revolution. In 1798, she married the artist John Opie in London and continued to write. She is best known for her novel ‘Adeline Mowbray’ (1804). When John Opie died in 1807, she returned to her father’s house in Norwich and lived close by where the statue has been erected in Opie Street. This statue, which depicts her in Quaker dress, was carved in wood and then cast in artifical stone.
Sculptor: Z. Leon
Designer: J.P. Chaplin
Location: Above shop façade, 6 Opie Street, Norwich, Norfolk.
Photo: Lee Webster
Emmeline Pankhurst (1858-1921) was the political activist, who organized the UK suffragette movement. She set up the Women’s Social and Political Union, campaigning for women’s suffrage and was imprisoned many times for militant behaviour. This bronze statue which is titled ‘Rise up Women’ was unveiled in 2018. It was the first statue of a woman in Manchester other than Queen Victoria.
Sculptor: Hazel Reeves MRSS SWA FRSA
Location: St. Peter's Square, Manchester.
Photo: Fin Fahey Wikimedia Commons
CC BY-SA 2.5
Emmeline Pankhurst (1858-1921) was the political activist, who organized the UK suffragette movement. She set up the Women’s Social and Political Union, campaigning for women’s suffrage and was imprisoned many times for militant behaviour. Her statue in bronze stands on a Portland stone pedestal, the architectual setting also in Portland stone features bronze roundels, which commemorate her daughter Christabel (1880-1958) and which were added in 1959. The Emmeline Pankhurst memorial statue was unveiled on 6 March 1930. For full description and discussion see Philip Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster, vol. 1, LUP 2011, pp. 382-84.
Sculptors: Arthur George Walker (1861-1939) and Peter Hills
Architect of plinth (Emmeline Pankhurst statue): Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946)
Founder (Emmeline Pankhurst statue): A.B. Burton
Location: Close to the Abingdon Street Entrance to Victoria Tower Gardens, London SW1.
Sylvia Pankhurst (1882-1960), the daughter of Emmeline, was also a suffragette. She trained as an artist at the Manchester School of Art. In 1900 she won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art. She was a socialist and later a left Communist. Much of her later life was spent campaigning on behalf of Ethiopia, where she moved and died. This Corten steel statue in silhouette is one of a trio. Similar groups representing other characters are being erected in parks and open spaces as part of the Sustrans project. The people and animals represented in these sculptures are chosen by local communities to celebrate Sustrans winning a nationwide vote in 2007 to create new walking and cycling routes across the UK. The project is funded by the Big Lottery.
Location: Near Haverfield Road , Mile End Park, London E3.
Photo: Derek Bennett (source: geograph.org.uk) Wikimedia Commons
Dorothy Wyndlow Pattison (1832-1878) known as ‘Sister Dora’, was a compassionate Anglican nun and nurse with ideals of thrift and hard work. She arrived in Walsall in 1865 and developed a close tie with the local community. Her devotion to her patients became legendary. Always at hand in time of crisis, she nursed through a smallpox epidemic, horrific factory accidents and a pit disaster. She turned the local hospital into a national model of economic efficiency. When she died, thousands lined Bridge Street to pay their respects. She is renowned as the first woman, apart from members of the royal family, to be commemorated in a full-size statue. The original sculpture in Sicilian marble was unveiled in October 1886, but in 1956 money was raised by public subscription to replace the very weathered marble with a bronze cast, which stands on a polished Peterhead granite pedestal with bronze reliefs. A plaster cast of the statue, which formerly stood in the Council House foyer in Lichfield Street, was moved in 2010 and installed at Walsall Manor Hospital.
Sculptor: Francis John Williamson (1833-1920)
Location: The Bridge, Walsall, West Midlands.