Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Arthur Ashpitel (1807–1869)

Architect and antiquary. He was trained by his father, the architect William Hurst Ashpitel, and began working on his own account in 1842. His two most important buildings are the churches of St. John’s, Blackheath, and St. Barnabas, Homerton. In 1845, with David Roberts RA as his travelling companion, he went to Rome, remaining there for several years. He exhibited two of his Roman drawings at the Royal Academy, Ancient Rome, 1858, no. 1008, and Modern Rome, 1859, no. 1051 (now Victoria and Albert Museum, 237-1869 and 238-1869). He was in partnership with John Whichcord II, 1850–55. Ashpitel’s monument designs include Nicholas Ridley, 1857, St Martin’s, Herne, Kent (carved by Seale) and Peter Borthwick, c.1867, Brompton Cemetery (bronze figures by Brucciani stolen; stone replacements now headless; monument described and illustrated in Builder, 5 January 1867, pp. 9, 10).

Bibliography: Builder, 30 January 1869, p. 81 (obit.); Dictionary of National Biography 1855-1900; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, p. 121; J. Newman, Kent: North East and East (Buildings of England), New Haven and London, 2013, p. 397; ‘Tomb of Peter Borthwick and family’, Historic England official list entryWikipedia.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022