Sculptor born in Worcestershire. His father, Richard Lockwood Boulton (c.1832–1905) established a successful sculpture and architectural carving business in Cheltenham in 1870/71. Gilbert and his brothers, Lockwood (1857–1927), Thomas (1860–1932) and Frank (c.1877–?) worked for their father and took over the running of the firm on his retirement in 1893; the firm continued until at least 1971. Gilbert Boulton’s commissions include figure carvings at St Cuthbert’s, Philbeach Gardens, Kensington, 1896–1908; the carving of Temple Moore’s rood screen, 1912, in St Mary the Virgin, Lowgate, Hull; and a stone figure of St George for Bodley & Hare’s war memorial at Walford, Ross on Wye, Herefordshire (dedicated 1925; listed Grade II 1987).
Bibliography: T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 249–50; Mapping Sculpture.
Terry Cavanagh November 2022