Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Ludwig Cauer (1866–1947)

Sculptor. Although his place of birth and death was Bad Kreuznach, Germany, Cauer exhibited at the Royal Academy, London, from 1892 to 1894, giving his address as 46 Glebe Place, Chelsea. His bronze statuette of Thomas More, 1894, is in Chelsea Library. He was the son of Carl Cauer and grandson of Emil Cauer the Elder, both sculptors. Ludwig’s brothers Emil, Robert and Hugo were also sculptors, as were his daughter, Hanna, and son, Eduard. Ludwig trained initially with his father, which included a study trip to Rome, and then with Reinhold Begas and Albert Wolff in Berlin. Following his years in London, Cauer returned to Germany and by 1895 was living in Berlin. He received an honourable mention at the Paris Salon of 1895 and was awarded third medal at the 1900 Paris Exposition Universelle. In Berlin he contributed to two major schemes for which Begas was artistic director: supporting groups for the Kaiser Wilhelm National Monument (1895–97; destr. 1950) and a marble statue of Emperor Charles IV (1899) for the Siegesallee (demolished post Second World War). A replica of this latter statue was cast in bronze in 1900 by Martin & Piltzing of Berlin (the founders for Cauer’s Thomas More statuette) and erected in Tangermünde. Cauer was elected to the German Academy in 1916 and returned to Bad Kreuznach in 1918 where he worked mainly as a funerary sculptor.

Bibliography: T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 57–58; ‘Kaiser-Wilhelm-Nationaldenkmal’Wikipedia (German); ‘Liste der Figurengruppen in der Berliner Siegesallee’ figurengruppenWikipedia (German); ‘Ludwig Cauer’Wikipedia (German); Mapping SculptureOxford Art Online – Benezit Dictionary of Artists.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022

Cauer, Ludwig

Ludwig Cauer (photo: public domain)