Sculptor in iron and steel. Born in Heswall, Cheshire, he studied at Liverpool College of Art (1955–59), and Liverpool University, gaining an Art Teacher’s Diploma. He taught in the Department of Silversmithing and Jewellery at Glasgow School of Art (1971–95), and became a professional blacksmith in 1988, establishing a forge at Milton of Campsie, East Dunbartonshire. Among his many public commissions are a set of sliding gates for the main entrance of Borders Regional Council Headquarters, Newton St Boswells (1990); a set of internal double doors for the Royal (now National) Museum of Scotland (1995); and Benchmark, a series of sculptural seating units at Norrie Miller Park, Perth (1998). He exhibits widely and is represented in major public collections throughout the UK.
Source: information provided by the artist.
Bibliography: R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, p. 435; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Glasgow, Liverpool, 2002, pp. 86, 321.
Ray McKenzie 2018