Architect. He was the nephew of the architect, Henry Currey (1820–1900). After a period working in the office of G.E. Street, he set up his own practice in London. His first restoration commission, the parish church at South Malling (1873) in the Archdeaconry of Lewes in Sussex, was largely financed by his father, Edmund Charles Currey, the Registrar of the Archdeaconry. Thereafter he completed restoration work in several other Sussex churches, including three in Lewes – St Thomas à Becket (1877), St Michael (1877–78) and St John sub Castro (1883–84) – and the parish churches at Piddinghoe (1882) and Tarring Neville (1893). Currey also designed the Monument to Russian Prisoners of War (the Tzar’s Obelisk) in St John sub Castro’s churchyard (erected 1877). He died at Castlegate House in Lewes.
Bibliography: J. Seddon et al, Public Sculpture of Sussex, Liverpool, 2014, p. 77; Sussex Parish Churches: ‘Architects and Artists C’.
Jill Seddon, Peter Seddon and Anthony McIntosh, 2014; revised, Terry Cavanagh, February 2025