Sculptor. Born in Glasgow, Anne Davidson (née Ross) grew up in Aberdeen, where she was educated at the Convent of the Sacred Heart School and Gray’s School of Art. After graduating in 1959, she returned to her old school as principal art teacher, resigning in 1968 to become a full-time sculptor. Wide-ranging in her interests, her work is almost all figurative, and often motivated by humanitarian concerns. She was a member of the International Society of Christian Artists and the Society of Catholic Artists, and undertook numerous commissions for the Catholic Church in Scotland, including a figurine of St Margaret for the Bishop of Aberdeen, which was produced in an edition of 500, and later reproduced on a larger scale for churches in Dunfermline and London, as well as New Zealand and the USA. She was also a lecturer at Gray’s School of Art (1978–82), and in 1985 she established a sculpture workshop for the blind in Aberdeen, in collaboration with her husband and fellow sculptor, Jimmy Davidson.
Bibliography: R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, pp. 273–76, vol. 2, p. xv; Scotsman, 19 January 2009 (obit.).
Ray McKenzie 2018