Edinburgh sculptor, educated at Boroughmuir School and apprenticed to a firm of masons before enlisting as a sniper in the First World War. On return to Edinburgh, he studied clay modelling and stone carving at Edinburgh College of Art, before becoming an assistant to Pittendrigh Macgillivray. After Macgillivray’s death, he joined the staff of Edinburgh College of Art, where he remained for the rest of his life. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Scottish Academy. In Edinburgh, he executed two of the seven carved monoliths (‘Tangier, America and the Netherlands, 1633–1700’ and ‘The Peninsular Wars, Waterloo, 1740–1820’) for the Royal Scots Monument, Princes Street Gardens (1948–52), and a bronze portrait plaque of Robert Fergusson (c.1958) at the side entrance to the Royal High School.
Bibliography: P.J.M. McEwan, The Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture, Ballater, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, 2004; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 2, pp. 308, 491.
Ray McKenzie 2018