Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Henry Louis Florence (1843–1916)

Architect. He was articled in 1860, and subsequently studied in the Atelier Questel, Paris. He attended the Royal Academy School of Architecture and was travelling student and gold medallist in 1870. Having been elected an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1865 (Soane medallist, 1869), he was elected a full member in 1878 and was vice-president, 1897–99. He was also a president of the Architectural Association, and in his will made provision for the establishment of the association’s Henry L. Florence Studentship’s Fund. Florence began practising as an architect in 1871 in partnership with Lewis Henry Isaac. His own designs include the former Institute of Journalists, Nos. 2–4 Tudor Street, City of London, 1902–04 –described in Bradley and Pevsner as a ‘pretty essay in the tradition of Norman Shaw’s Scotland Yard’ – and the Kensington Queen Victoria Memorial, 1904, now Warwick Gardens. He was also an art collector who made bequests to National Gallery, British Museum and Victoria and Albert Museum.

Bibliography: S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, London 1: The City of London, (1997), 1999, p. 612; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 259–61; ‘Henry Louis Florence, 1843–1916’, The Correspondence of James McNeill WhistlerDaily Telegraph, 21 February 1916, p. 7 (obit.); ‘Henry Louis Florence, Architect’, PrabookWho was WhoWikipedia.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022