Sculptor and carver, born in Ipswich. He served a five-year apprenticeship at H.H. Martin & Co. Ltd, Cheltenham, then went to work for a furnishing company in London. In 1907 Garrard moved to Eastbourne, setting up his own workshop in a former stable behind Terminus Road. He specialised in ecclesiastical work and during his long career is believed to have carried out work in every church in the town. Much of this work was undertaken for the architect A.R.G. Penning. He sculpted the bronze John Wesley Woodward – Titanic Memorial (unveiled 24 October 1914) on the parade opposite the bandstand at Eastbourne and the coat of arms above the town’s Police Station. After the Second World War he set up a workshop at 37 Willingdon Road Eastbourne, where he had lived since 1919. Although he retired in 1951, he continued carving and sculpting until the age of 99.
Bibliography: F. Muncey, ‘Charles Godfrey Garrard, Sculptor and Carver’, Eastbourne Local Historian, no. 133, Autumn 2004; J. Seddon et al, Public Sculpture of Sussex, Liverpool, 2014, pp. 52–53.
Jill Seddon, Peter Seddon and Anthony McIntosh, 2014