Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Charles Henshaw & Sons Ltd

Firm of architectural and decorative metalworkers established by Charles Henshaw and his three sons in 1904 after moving from Birmingham to Edinburgh. Its foundry was in Russell Road, Gorgie, and among the commissions it carried out were the decorative lamp standards surrounding the Shaftesbury Monument in Piccadilly Circus, London, the ‘Versailles-style’ chandelier in the Archers’ Hall, Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, and the First World War memorial in Waverley station. The company still trades today, and specialises in architectural projects incorporating large-scale schemes of iron and glass, such as the façade of the Harvey Nichols store in St Andrew Square, and the atrium of the Marriott Hotel in Kensington, London.

Bibliography: S. Bain, ‘Henshaw is determined to be the architect of success’, (Glasgow) Herald, 31 August 2013; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, pp. 46, 234, 422–23, 454, vol. 2, pp. 21, 26, 82, 305–14, 496, 515; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Glasgow, Liverpool, 2002, p. 27.

Ray McKenzie 2018