Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

William Lindley (1739–1819)

Architect. Lindley drew his Neo-Classical architectural style from James Paine, Robert Adam and John Carr of York, whose office he joined as a draughtsman in c.1754, working there for 20 years. Lindley then offered his services as an architect by placing an advertisement in the York Chronicle on 18 October 1773, the consequence of which was his employment by the corporation of Doncaster to carry out numerous works of public architecture, beginning in 1774 with the design of a theatre. Lindley also undertook civic architecture in Sheffield, notably the market (1784–86) and Ecclesall Court House and gaol (1791), the latter two now demolished. As well as civic commissions, he was also responsible for domestic architecture and is widely credited with the numerous examples of late Georgian houses that line the streets of Doncaster. Lindley’s pupils included Charles Watson, who became a partner in 1792, John Woodhead, established as a partner c.1810, and William Hurst, also a partner, articled c.1815. Lindley lived at 20 South Parade, Doncaster. He died on 28 February 1819 and was buried in the parish church.

Bibliography: H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600–1840, 3rd edn, New Haven and London, 1995; A.C. Taylor, ‘Lindley, William (1739–1819)’, ODNB, (2004), 2009; D. White and E. Norman, Public Sculpture of Sheffield and South Yorkshire, Liverpool, 2015, p. 52.

Darcy White, 2015