Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

John D. Marshall (fl. 1802–1849)

Edinburgh sculptor about whom little is known except that he was employed by a marble cutter named Dalziel, whose workshop was on Leith Walk, and that he collaborated frequently with his friend and fellow marble cutter Samuel Mackenzie. Two such collaborations are the arms of the Bank of Scotland (1804–09), Bank Street, and (possibly) the sphinxes for Parliament House (before 1808), both Edinburgh. Marshall’s independent work includes the carved white marble mantelpiece featuring oxen ploughing and figures of War and Peace in the Music Room of William and Robert Adam’s Mellerstain House, Berwickshire. He was the uncle of the sculptor William Calder Marshall (1813–1894).

Bibliography: W.T. Johnston, Dictionary of Scottish Artists (c.2000), Scottish National Library, ref CD-ROM.585; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, pp. 29–30, 338–39, vol. 2, pp. 150, 464; Royal Scottish Academy archives, ‘Reminiscences of Samuel Mackenzie (1785–1847) by his son’, unpublished typescript, n.d., pp. 5–7.

Ray McKenzie 2018