Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

John (Jock) Marshall (1888–1952)

Architectural carver employed regularly by many leading twentieth-century Scottish sculptors to translate their models into stone, including Phyllis Bone, Alexander Carrick, Hew Lorimer, Pilkington Jackson and Benno Schotz. In Edinburgh he carved a large sandstone panel replicating the masthead of The Scotsman (c.1904) on the Market Street façade of the paper’s former offices (now The Scotsman Hotel). He also worked on several major projects led by Robert Lorimer, such as the refurbishment of Lennoxlove House, East Lothian (1912) and Dunrobin Castle, Sutherland (1915–21), while beyond Scotland he is known to have contributed to the decoration of Birmingham Fire Station, Sheffield Central Library and the Municipal Buildings in Leeds. Trained at Edinburgh College of Art, he also produced small subject pieces for exhibition at the Royal Scottish Academy, with titles such as Meditation (1937), and Dawn and Evolution (both 1940).

Bibliography: Glasgow – City of Sculpture; Historic Environment Scotland, John Marshall Collection, Acc. No. 2005/77; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, p. 318, vol. 1, pp. 380–81, 492.

Ray McKenzie 2018