Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

McDonald & Creswick (fl. c. 1920–1950)

Firm of metalworkers specialising in lost-wax casting, set up in Edinburgh by William McDonald (1887–1932) and the silversmith Charles Creswick (1883–1965; the son of the sculptor Benjamin Creswick) after the First World War. McDonald had previously formed a partnership with Charles d’Orville Pilkington Jackson, during which time they also collaborated with George Mancini, who went on to form his own company. The firm cast some of the bronze components of the Royal Scots Monument, Edinburgh (1948–52), and the bronze statue in George Henry Paulin’s Monument to Lord Lister in Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow (1924). After McDonald’s death in 1932, the firm continued under the management of a draughtsman named Bowden, but ceased trading around 1950.

Bibliography: Charles d’Orville Pilkington Jackson, unpublished ‘Memoir’, c.1968, n.p. [pp. 4, 8]; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, pp. 118, 126, 448, vol. 2, pp. 25, 305, 473–74, 505, 517–18; Mapping Sculpture (William McDonald).

Ray McKenzie 2018