Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

John Mylne Junior (1611–1667)

Architect and sculptor, he was the brother of Alexander Mylne, and the most distinguished member of the Mylne family who dominated Scottish architecture in the seventeenth century. He replaced his father as Master Mason to the Crown in 1636, and in addition to designing the Tron Kirk, Edinburgh (1636–46), he carried out repair work on the crown spire of St Giles Cathedral (1648) and made a survey of the Palace of Holyroodhouse (1633–70). Apart from his possible involvement with the sundial at Holyroodhouse, his only other recorded sculptural work is a statue of John Cowane on Cowane’s Hospital in Stirling, which he also designed (1637–48).

Bibliography: Dictionary of Scottish Architects; J. Gifford et al, Edinburgh, Harmondsworth, 1984, pp. 37, 109, 126; J. Gifford and F.A. Walker, Stirling and Central Scotland (New Haven and London,, 2002, pp. 707–08; W.T. Johnston, Dictionary of Scottish Artists (c.2000), Scottish National Library, ref CD-ROM.585; P.J.M. McEwan, The Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture, Ballater, Aberdeenshire, 2004; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Edinburgh (2 vols), Liverpool, 2018, vol. 1, pp. 252–54, 254–56; R.S. Mylne, The Master Masons to the Crown of Scotland, Edinburgh, 1893, p. 305.

Ray McKenzie 2018