Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Herbert William Palliser (1883–1963)

Sculptor, born in Northallerton, Yorkshire. He became pupil to a Harrogate architect, before studying at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London (1906–11), and then at the Slade School of Fine Art (1911–14), where he was taught sculpture by James Havard Thomas. From Thomas he learned the ‘sectional system’ for the study of the human body. He exhibited with the New English Art Club, at the Royal Academy, and the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. A number of his Academy exhibits were of animal subjects. In 1924 he executed the Calcutta War Memorial, and in 1932, a Cobra Fountain for New Delhi. In c.1927, he executed Portland stone allegorical figures for W. Curtis Green’s London Life Assurance building, King William Street, City of London; in c.1928, a Portland stone tympanum relief for Kersey, Gale and Spooner’s Vintry House, Queen Street Place, City of London; and in c.1934, a Portland stone tympanum relief for Charles W. Long’s Victoria House, Southampton Row, Bloomsbury. In his architectural sculpture Palliser occasionally essayed direct carving. He taught at the Royal College of Art, 1931–48, and was an Associate of the Royal Society of British Sculptors from 1939 and a Fellow from 1943. He was married to the painter Jane Moncur, and lived in London.

Bibliography: D. Buckman, Artists in Britain since 1945 (2 vols: A–L, M–Z), Bristol, 2006; W. Kineton Parkes, ‘Modern English Carvers II. Herbert William Palliser’, in supplement of Architectural Review, May 1927, pp.196–97; Mapping Sculpture; P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of the City of London, Liverpool, 2003, pp. xxvi, 221–22, 308; Who’s Who in Art, 3rd edn, London, 1934.

Philip Ward-Jackson, 2003; revised Terry Cavanagh, May 2024