Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Henry Alfred Pegram (1862–1937)

Sculptor. He studied at the West London School of Art, then in 1881 entered the Royal Academy (RA) Schools where he was awarded prizes in 1882, 1884, and 1886. On leaving the RA Schools he worked for four years as an assistant in Hamo Thornycroft’s studio. Pegram was a member of the Art Workers’ Guild, 1890–1904, and was elected an Associate Royal Academician in 1904 and full Royal Academician in 1922. From 1884 to 1936 he showed 160 works at the RA summer exhibitions. In 1891, he was a founder member of the Chelsea Arts Club. Two examples of Pegram’s earlier work, in which he shows the influence of Alfred Gilbert, and which are generally considered to be among his most important, are a bronze relief, Ignis fatuus; 1889, and a marble group, Sibylla fatidica, 1904, both Chantrey Bequest purchases for the Tate Gallery. The authorship of the Monument to Ninon Michaelis, 1903, Kensal Green Cemetery, was forgotten until Glenn Benson’s research in the 2000s reconnected it to Pegram; as recently as 2001 the monument’s high quality had convinced scholars that it could only be by a continental sculptor. In 1909–11, Pegram executed a series of Portland stone figures for the exterior of Basil Champneys’ Rhodes Building, Oriel College, Oxford, including Cardinal Newman and Cecil Rhodes, the latter of which was the subject of an unsuccessful 2016 student campaign to have it removed on the grounds that the statue amounted to a celebration of British colonialism. In 1913, Pegram was one of ten sculptors selected to provide statues for Cardiff City Hall, his contribution being Llewellyn the Last Prince. Other public sculptures by Pegram include Into the Silent Land, 1905, Golder’s Green Crematorium; Sir Thomas Browne, 1905, Hay Hill, Norwich; Sir John Campbell, 1906, Auckland, New Zealand; Monument to Edith Cavell, 1917, Tombland, Norwich; the crowning ‘Victory’ figure on the Cunard War Memorial, 1921, Liverpool; and Hylas, 1922, St John’s Lodge, Regent’s Park. He was a cousin of Alfred Bertram Pegram.

Sources: S. Beattie, The New Sculpture, New Haven and London, 1983; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 219–20, 322, 478–79; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Liverpool, Liverpool, 1997, pp. 143–46; R. Cocke, Public Sculpture of Norfolk and Suffolk, Liverpool, 2013, pp. 17–18, 30–32; D.A. Cross, Public Sculpture of Lancashire and Cumbria, Liverpool, 2017, pp. 102–03; J.S. Curl (ed.), Kensal Green Cemetery, Chichester, 2001, pp. 180, 212, 213, 241; Mapping Sculpture; G.T. Noszlopy, Public Sculpture of Birmingham (ed. J. Beach), Liverpool, 1998, pp. 133–34; R. Sharp, ‘Pegram, Henry Alfred (1862–1937)’, ODNB, Oxford, 2004; P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of the City of London, Liverpool, 2003, pp. 91, 92, 101, 404–05; P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster. Volume 1, Liverpool, 2011, p. 132; Welsh Historical Sculpture: Welsh Historical Sculpture presented to the City of Cardiff by Lord Rhondda of Llanwern … on the 27th October 1916, Cardiff, 1916; T. Wyke, Public Sculpture of Greater Manchester, Liverpool, 2004, pp. 101, 127.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022

Pegram, Henry Alfred

Henry Alfred Pegram, Elliott and Fry, albumen cabinet card, c. 1903 (photo: © National Portrait Gallery, London)