Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

William Bainbridge Reynolds (1845–1935)

Decorative metalworker. He was articled to the architect J.P. Sedding, and assisted G.E. Street with work on the Law Courts. After a period spent working as a draughtsman with the Royal Engineers, Reynolds set up as a metalworker, operating from the Old Town Works, Clapham, and producing mainly church furniture and fittings. He was a member of the congregation of St Cuthbert’s Philbeach Gardens, Earls Court, a church built 1884–87 to the designs of Roumieu and Gough. Between 1887 and 1911, Reynolds provided a wide variety of fittings to this church, including an extravagant lectern (1897) in wrought iron and repoussé copper. Other architects with whom he worked were Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (Liverpool Anglican Cathedral), C.F.A. Voysey and Walter Tapper. He was a member of the Art Workers’ Guild.

Bibliography: A.S. Gray, Edwardian Architecture. A Biographical Dictionary, London, 1985, p. 303; Mapping Sculpture; RIBA Journal, 11 May 1935 (obit.); P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of the City of London, Liverpool, 2003, p. 308.

Philip Ward-Jackson, 2003