Born in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, a relative of the bronze-founder Charles G. Shirreffs, he moved to Glasgow in 1870 to study sculpture under William Mossman Junior at Glasgow School of Art. Though based in Glasgow (he had a cire-perdue foundry in his studio at 261 West George Street), he often worked in Edinburgh, casting the reliefs on John Rhind’s Monument to Sir William Chambers and carving the figures of Gurth and Diana Vernon for the Scott Monument. He also briefly assisted James Pittendrigh Macgillivray on the Gladstone Monument, also Edinburgh. His own public statues include the Monument to William Barbour, at the Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley (c.1899). He exhibited regularly at the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, but never, it would appear, at the Royal Scottish Academy.
Source: McKenzie, R., Public Sculpture of Glasgow, Liverpool, 2002, p. 498.
Ray McKenzie 2018