Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Bernard Sindall (1925–1998)

Sculptor born at Surbiton, the son of a popular illustrator. After serving in the Navy in the Second World War, he attended Brighton School of Art, where he won a Prix de Rome in sculpture. He spent 1950–52 in Rome, from which he made excursions to Greece and Crete. In Rome he was particularly attracted to the collection of Etruscan artefacts in the Villa Giulia. Back in England he taught at the City and Guilds of London Art School from 1953 to 1956, and later at the Sir John Cass Institute and Canterbury and Maidstone Colleges of Art. Sindall found that there was little interest in the figurative sculpture which he was producing at this time, and his career in art ground practically to a standstill. He worked at various stages as a trawlerman and a stonemason. In the 1970s he began to sculpt again, and in 1974, Professor Hamish Miles of the Barber Institute, Birmingham, selected Sindall for a commission for the University of Birmingham campus. The result was the bronze Nude Girl with a Hat. Through the architect Theo Crosby and his organisation Pentagram, Sindall received commissions for sculpture in the City of London, for Abundance (1980) on Unilever House, and for a series of nine Greek Muses for the Barbican Art Centre (1993–95). The Muses were taken down and sold in 1997.

Bibliography: Daily Telegraph, 6 April 1998 (obit.); G.T. Noszlopy, Public Sculpture of Birmingham (ed. J. Beach), Liverpool, 1998, p. 137; P. Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of the City of London, Liverpool, 2003, pp. xxix, 30–31, 34, 282, 283.

Philip Ward-Jackson, 2003