Firm of sculptors and marble cutters about whom little is known other than that it had a workshop on Shrub Place, near Leith Walk, Edinburgh, and was engaged by the committee of the Burns Monument to move Flaxman’s statue of the poet to the library of Edinburgh University in 1846. The sculptor named Wallace who is recorded as having carved the horse on William Dick’s nearby Veterinary College is likely to have been a partner in the firm.
Sources: Edinburgh Evening Courant, 30 September 1833, p. 3c; Edinburgh Town Council Minutes, vol. 245, p. 191, 20 January 1846; Macdonald, A.A., et al, ‘Locating Veterinary Education in Edinburgh in the Nineteenth Century’, Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, New Series, vol. 6, 2005, p. 46.
Ray McKenzie 2018