Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Edward Prioleau Warren (1856–1937)

Architect born in Bristol. He attended Clifton College, Bristol, and was subsequently articled to G.F. Bodley who greatly influenced his early work. Following his master’s death in 1907, Warren designed Bodley’s memorial which was unveiled in his last completed building, Holy Trinity, Prince Consort Road, South Kensington, in 1910; in the same year, Warren published an account of Bodley’s life and work in the RIBA Journal (3rd series, vol. 17 (1910), pp. 305–40). A.S. Gray described Warren as ‘an all-round architect’, equally comfortable designing churches, colleges (mostly in Oxford, but some Cambridge) and homes. He designed Hanover Lodge, St John’s Wood, London (1903–04), which Gray commended as ‘the best-looking block of mansion flats in an era of mansion flats’. He also designed his own home, Breach House, Cholsey, Berkshire (1906) as well as the reredos for the parish church (1925) in whose churchyard he is buried. He was a Fellow of both the Society of Antiquaries and the Royal Institute of British Architects, and a member of the Art Workers’ Guild (Master in 1913).

Bibliography: T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 341–42; A.S. Gray, Edwardian Architecture, London, 1985; Who was Who; relevant editions of Pevsner’s ‘Buildings of England’.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022