Edith Cavell (1865-1915) was a WWI nurse, arrested by the German authorities in Belgium in August 1915 for helping French and British soldiers and civilians, she was tried and shot on 12 October 1915 . Her white marble statue stands on a Cornish grey granite pedestal against a pylon, topped with a statue of a mother and child and cross, all of granite. The memorial was unveiled on 17 March 1920. For full description and discussion see Philip Ward-Jackson, Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster, vol. 1, LUP 2011, pp. 245-48.
Location: On island in road between the National Portrait Gallery and St. Martin-in-the-Fields, St. Martin's Place, London WC2.