Florence Nightingale (1820-1910) was celebrated for her nursing work during the Crimean War and was the founder of modern nursing. She is depicted as the ‘Lady with the Lamp’ walking through the wards of the Scutari Hospital with her famous lamp. The commission for the Memorial was initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, President of the Governors of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI). In 1860 the DRI was rebuilt due to high mortality rates, along lines suggested by Nightingale. Her family lived in Derbyshire after returning from Florence. The white marble statue stands on a pedestal with a backscreen of Darley Dale stone; it is listed Grade II.
Location: Outside Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, facing London Road, Derby.