Dolly Peel (1782-1857) was a South Shields fishwife and smuggler in the 1800s, who protected sailors from the press gangs. Her activities were discovered, but she was pardoned and given work nursing sick sailors. She became a local heroine and later published poetry. The statue was commissioned by her great-great-great grandson Reginald Peel and was based on a surviving photograph. Made of ciment fondu, the statue was unveiled in April 1987 by Councillor Gladys Hobson.
Location: River Drive near the junction with Palatine Street, facing the river Tyne, South Shields, Tyne and Wear.