Euphaim Veatch, Lady Gifford
Euphaim Veatch, Lady Gifford. Her memorial formed part of a market cross and public well, which was carved by her husband James, the local stonemason in c.1666. The pedestal was originally decorated with statues of Lady Gifford and her five children. The cross was replaced and made into a clock tower in 1894, by which time the figures of her children had disappeared. Her original carved figure was removed in 1996 to prevent further weathering and is now in the local Graham Institute, West Linton. Lady Gifford’s figure was replaced in 2001 with a cast by Graciela Ainsworth Associates Edinburgh. The memorial is listed Category B, for further details see listing designation.
Location: Graham Institute (original); Clock Tower (replica) , West Linton, Scottish Borders.