The Bronte sisters
The Bronte sisters, this bronze group represents the three sisters, Charlotte (1816–1855), Emily (1818–1848) and Anne (1820–1849), who were all novelists and poets. They first published under the androgenous pseudonyms of Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell, because the prejudices of the time would have disapproved of the publication of their works had they been known to be women. Once they achieved success they admitted to the pseudonyms. In this sculture the sisters are shown walking together and now appear to do so in the garden at the Haworth Parsonage, where they lived together with their father, who was perpetual curate of the parish. Commissioned in 1950, the sculpture is dated the following year. It was previously housed at Leeds City Art Gallery.
Location: Outside the Parsonage Museum, Haworth, West Yorkshire.