Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Doulton & Co (est. 1815)

Pottery established by John Doulton at Lambeth as Doulton & Watts, which name it retained until 1851, specialising in utilitarian stoneware. In the late 1830s the firm extended its range to include architectural sculpture and garden ornaments in terracotta, some of it designed by the sculptor Samuel Nixon. In 1858, the firm became Henry Doulton & Co and c.1860 began to revive earlier types of stoneware producing, from 1862, its famous salt-glazed wares with blue decorations. From 1866, the firm enjoyed a close association with John Sparkes and the Lambeth School of Art where many of its finest artists were trained, including George Tinworth, John Broad and Herbert Ellis. In 1884, the firm opened a porcelain factory at Burslem, Staffs. W.J. Neatby joined as head of the architectural department in 1889. In 1899, Doulton’s became a limited company and in 1901 was granted a royal warrant, entitling the pottery to style itself Royal Doulton. The Lambeth works was finally closed down in 1956. In addition to art pottery and architectural sculpture, Doulton’s produced a number of large-scale fountains and memorial statues.

Bibliography: P. Atterbury and L. Irvine, The Doulton Story. A souvenir booklet produced originally for the exhibition held at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 30 May–12 August 1979, Stoke on Trent, 1979; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, pp. 122, 164, 165, 239, 240, 327, 328; T. Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of South London, Liverpool, 2007, pp. xv–xvi, 35–37, 61–63, 355–57; R. Cocke, Public Sculpture of Norfolk and Suffolk, Liverpool, 2013, pp. 28–30, 42–43, 50; D. Eyles, The Lambeth Doulton Wares (rev. L. Irvine), Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, 2002; J. Fleming and H. Honour, The Penguin Dictionary of Decorative Arts, London, 1977, rev. edn. 1989; F. Lloyd et al, Public Sculpture of Outer South and West London, Liverpool, 2011, pp. 37, 38, 168, 244, 264, 302, 329; R. McKenzie, Public Sculpture of Glasgow, Liverpool, 2002, pp. 166–71, 351–52, 355–56, 439–40, 441–42; E. Morris and E. Roberts, Public Sculpture of Cheshire and Merseyside, Liverpool, 2012, pp. 55–56.

Terry Cavanagh November 2022