Skip to main content

Public Statues and Sculpture Association

Elisabeth Frink

Photo: Rock drum, CC BY-SA 3.0

Sculptor: Frederick Edward McWilliam CBE, RA (1909 -1992)

Elisabeth Frink

Elisabeth Frink (1930-1993), sculptor and printmaker.  A second cast of the Harlow statue, this bronze was made using the original moulds in 1965. This statue was shown at the Herbert Gallery in an exhibition called ‘Metamorphosis’. It was then placed on permanent display outside the entrance in 1966.

Location: Outside Herbert Gallery, Coventry, West Midlands.

Ekaterine (Kate) Frolov

Photo: © Nigel Mykura CC BY-SA 2.0

Sculptor: Unknown

Erected: 2009

Ekaterine (Kate) Frolov

Ekaterine (Kate) Frolov (1986-2000), a poignant memorial to a fourteen year old Russian girl, who was studying English at a language school in the town. She died when she fell from nearby cliffs in the fog. Her family erected this bronze statue which stands over Ilfracombe Bay in 2009.

Location: Capstone Hill, Ilfracombe, Devon.

Elizabeth Fry

Photo: Richard200 Wikimedia Commons

Sculptor: Alfred Drury (1856-1944)

Materials: Marble

Elizabeth Fry

Elizabeth Fry (1780-1845), prison and social reformer, and philanthropist. This marble statue was erected in 1912 in the Old Bailey, which is the site of the former Newgate Prison.

Location: Grand Hall of the Old Bailey, London EC4.

Elizabeth Gaskell

Photo: Marion Dutcher / Gaskell Memorial Tower, Knutsford, Cheshire / CC BY-SA 2.0

Sculptor: after Hamo Thornycroft (1850-1925)

Elizabeth Gaskell

Elizabeth Gaskell (1810-1865), Victorian novelist, biographer and writer of short stories. Gaskell lived in Knutsford with her aunt and later was married there. Her  portrait bust is in a niche on Gaskell Memorial Tower. It is a copy of a bust made in 1897 by Hamo Thornycroft (1850-1925), now at the University of Manchester Library, which itself was a copy of a plaster bust by David Dunbar (1792-1866), which was executed c.1829. The marble (?) bust was in place on the Tower by 1913.

Location: Gaskell Memorial Tower, King Street, Knutsford , Cheshire.

Sculptor: Achille D'Orsi (1845-1929)

Materials: Bronze

Elizabeth Gaskell

Elizabeth Gaskell (1810-1865), Victorian novelist, biographer and writer of short stories. Gaskell lived in Knutsford with her aunt and later was married there. This bronze portrait relief of Gaskell by the Italian sculptor, Achille D’Orsi, was originally on the front of Knutsford Post Office, but has now moved to right side of Gaskell Memorial Tower.

Location: Gaskell Memorial Tower, King Street, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Sculptor: James Gifford

Euphaim Veatch, Lady Gifford

Euphaim Veatch, Lady Gifford.  Her memorial formed part of a market cross and public well, which was carved by her husband James, the local stonemason in c.1666. The pedestal was originally decorated with statues of Lady Gifford and her five children. The cross was replaced and made into a clock tower in 1894, by which time the figures of her children had disappeared.  Her original carved figure was removed in 1996 to prevent further weathering and is now in the local Graham Institute, West Linton. Lady Gifford’s figure was replaced in 2001 with a cast by Graciela Ainsworth Associates Edinburgh.  The memorial is listed Category B, for further details see listing designation.

Location: Graham Institute (original); Clock Tower (replica) , West Linton, Scottish Borders.

Ann Glanville

Photo: Peter Holmes / Ann Glanville, Fore Street / CC BY-SA 2.0

Materials: Fibreglass

Unveiled: 5 September 2013

Ann Glanville

Ann Glanville (1796-1880) a champion rower, who raced Cornish pilot gigs (six-oared wooden rowing boats). Her statue was originally sited in Fore Street, Saltash, but in 2018 was relocated to Saltash waterside.

Location: Saltash waterside, Cornwall

Lady Godiva

Photo: By Cmglee – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0. Public Domain, Commons Wikimedia.

Sculptor: Sir William Reid-Dick K.C.V.O RA (1878-1961)

Founder: Morris Singer

Materials: Sculpture in bronze; pedestal in Portand stone

Signed: Yes

Unveiled: 22 October 1949

Listed: Grade II* (1031589 ) 15.04.1998

Lady Godiva

Lady Godiva ( -1067) was a religious woman renowned for her generous gifts to churches and abbeys. Her birth date is unknown, but her marriage to Leofric, Earl of Mercia in c.1035 is chronicled. She was a wealthy landowner in her own right. Godiva pleaded with her husband to reduce the heavy taxes on the people of Coventry and he promised to do so if she would ride naked through the city. She ordered the people of Coventry to stay indoors, cover their windows and close their doors and made a cloak of her hair to cover herself. The story of her ride was first told in the 12th century. This striking lifesize equestrian bronze statue, entitled Self-Sacrifice, representing Godiva on her ride, was sculpted by William Reid-Dick and was commissioned by W.H. Bassett-Green, a Coventry industrialist, who presented it to the city. The Historic England listing entry explains that this public sculpture ‘symbolised the regeneration of Coventry after its bombing and was donated to boost morale at a time when rebuilding work was delayed by shortages.’ In its original location facing the clock tower of Broadgate House (where it could be seen by ‘Peeping Tom) it created a focal point for Broadgate. In 1990 it was turned around and now faces the Upper Precinct. The design of the pedestal is similar to the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens (d.1944), who had been a friend of Reid-Dick. The pedestal is inscribed on two sides with lines from Lord Alfred Tennyson’s poem ‘Godiva’, the name of Bassett-Green, the donor, is on the third. For further details see George T. Noszlopy, Public Sculpture of Warwickshire, Coventry & Solihull, LUP, 2003, pp. 124-25.

Location: Entrance to Broadgate shopping centre, Coventry.

Sculptor: Lois Carson (b.1961)

Founder: Black Isle Bronze Ltd

Materials: Bronze

Elizabeth Grant

Elizabeth Grant (1842-1925) is depicted with her husband William, dressed in his Gordon Highlanders’ uniform, in a bronze sculpture commissioned by Glenfiddich Distillery, which was unveiled in 2018. The couple married in 1860, founded the Distillery in 1886 and had two daughters and seven sons. Glenfiddich is one of the few single malt distilleries which is still entirely family owned.

Location: Glenfiddich Visitor Centre, Dufftown, Scotland.

Nell Gwynn

Photo: Terry Cavanagh

Sculptor: Unknown

Architect: George Kay Green

Materials: Unknown

Dimensions: Statue h. (est.) 2.2m.

Nell Gwynn

Nell Gwynn (1650—1687), originally named Eleanor Gwynn, was a celebrated English actress and mistress of Charles II. Thought to have been of ‘low-birth’ she appears to have led a rags-to-riches life. First employed as an orange-girl in Drury Lane Theatre, she quickly became the mistress of its leading actor, Charles Hart, first appearing on the stage herself in late 1665. Spirited and good humoured, Nell was a popular figure. Described by Samuel Pepys as ‘pretty, witty Nell’, she is reputed to have been an excellent singer and dancer, but not suited to serious drama. By 1666 she had become a leading comedienne of the King’s Company with John Dryden writing many of her parts. In 1669 she became the mistress of Charles II, making her final stage appearance in Dryden’s Conquest of Granada by the Spaniards a year later. Thereafter, the King set her up in a fine house, where she entertained him and his friends. She never received a title herself, but secured them for her two sons by the King. Her younger son died in childhood; the elder Charles Beauclerk, was created Duke of St Albans. James II supported her after the death of Charles II, who on his deathbed had instructed his heir, ‘Let not poor Nellie starve.’

This twentieth century statue of Nell Gwynn occupies a niche above the main entrance of Nell Gwynn House, an apartment block in Chelsea. She is depicted wearing Restoration period dress with a Cavalier King Charles spaniel at her feet. Her association with this area of London, however, is uncertain and may be apocryphal.

For details of the further two sculptures on this facade, see Terry Cavanagh, Public Sculpture of Kensington and Chelsea with Westminster South-West, Watford, 2023, p.88.

Location: Sloane Avenue, London, SW3.